UI-UX Designer, remote
Deadline February 20th, 2021
Level Junior to mid-level, or career changer
Contract Fixed term five months (extendable), remote, part-time considered
Monthly fee Equivalent of USD1900-2500 (SGD2700-3300/ GBP1500-2000)
Seeing the future
We are Emani, a technology startup backed by Antler. Our digital platform provides early warning of emerging risks in insecure cities around the world. Near real-time monitoring of public sentiment and observations at scale provide the insights needed to assure vital business continues,
investments are approved, and aid is delivered. In 2021, we will pilot in two cities in Africa and Asia. In three years, we will be protecting people and property in 200 cities globally.
Good information, delivered on time, makes the world’s most insecure places accessible, investable, and desirable places to live and work. We celebrate when investors use our insights to create jobs where unemployment is rife. We are proud to help the international community to tackle the instability that plagues communities and small businesses. We are committed to driving income to marginalised communities.
We are looking for
You are primarily a web user interface designer, with a passion for user experience. In your first months, you will work closely with the CEO and CTO, championing users’ joys and pains, evolving the Figma prototype and working with external developers to build the product.
You will also take on broad responsibility for the Emani brand, leading on design and supporting business-to-business marketing efforts.
As Emani grows, there will be the opportunity to transition from specialised UI-UX designer to a broader product management role. We know that this may mean a steep learning curve – we will support you.
The Emani team is small and our ambitions are big. We’ve listed core responsibilities below but there is plenty of flexibility in the role for someone excited by our mission and aligned with our values.
You’ll spend most of your time:
- Guiding Emani’s prototype through iterations, in line with client feedback and new, emerging use cases.
- Researching client experiences using a range of cost-effective tools, from usability tests, customer discovery conversations, and desk-based research.
- Championing the user perspective in strategic discussions and decisions.
- Supporting the CTO in hiring and directing technical developers, in particular helping them to balance user experience, technical feasibility, and commercial viability.
You’ll spend some of your time:
- Supporting the sales function by responding to requests for information, brochures, and demonstrations.
- Leading the development of Emani’s visual brand, leading on the aesthetic aspects of everything from pitch decks to proposal templates.
- Generating new product and feature ideas.
- Contributing to a supportive, collaborative and inclusive remote-working environment.
All candidates need to show us:
- A portfolio with examples of comparable work. We’re looking for examples of user interfaces that visualise data and help users make real-life decisions.
- Confidence with Figma, Invision, and data visualisation libraries, demonstrated by the portfolio or formal education/ training.
- Joy at interacting with people, wherever they’re from, accompanied by active listening skills and the ability to read and interpret human behaviour.
- The confidence to be the senior-most designer in the team couple with the humility to ask for help, listen to colleagues, and take advantage of the external resources Emani and its supporters make available.
- A researcher’s mindset, with attention to detail and good problem-solving skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
The best candidates might also bring one or more of:
- A track record implementing the techniques and methods of modern product discovery and product delivery.
- Technical background with experience in software development or web technologies.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, commercial awareness, and business acumen.
- Clear desire to lead UI-UX and subsequently grow into a product management role.
- Experience working in and with emerging markets/ developing economies.
- Knowledge of the international risk analysis and security management world.
- Experience within an early-stage startup.
Success at Emani
You will thrive at Emani if you align with our values, commit to our mission and are genuinely excited by our vision. As one of our first hires, you will relish unpredictable working patterns and systems that are yet to embed and mature. You are ready to commit yourself to the job full time and relinquish all other work commitments.
Our offer to you
Emani is an ambitious startup driven to work hard everyday by the knowledge that when we succeed, so will thousands of low income individuals around the world.
In addition to a competitive monthly fee reviewed every six months, we offer:
- Monthly contribution to homeworking.
- A caring team that lives by Emani’s values and driven by its vision.
- Real potential to take on leadership roles and own business areas as we grow.
- International staff, experiences, and (optional) travel.
- Remote work and flexibility over your schedule.
- Additional options where salary is below market rate.
We would be delighted
We know that people from some groups are less likely to apply to jobs like these. We encourage anyone who meets the job specifications to apply. We are especially keen to see applications from candidates who don’t speak English as a first language, come from minority groups or low income backgrounds, or who have a disability. Tell us if we can make it easier to apply.
How to apply
Complete the application form. Longlisted candidates will be invited to take part in a short assessment, followed by a 30 minute interview. We aim to complete the recruitment process within two weeks of the deadline. If the application form does not load, you can go here instead.