Emani Community Manager, Nigeria
Deadline: 10 February, 2021. This position is now closed.
Level: Recent graduate or career changer.
Fee and contract type: USD $600-$900 monthly, full-time consultant contract, 6 months. Based in Lagos.
Seeing the future
We are Emani, a technology startup backed by Antler. Our digital platform provides early warning of emerging risks in insecure cities around the world. Public sentiment and observations at scale provide the insights needed to ensure vital business continues, investments are approved, and services are delivered. We are embarking on a period of rapid growth and looking for smart, driven people to help us realise our vision. In 2021, we will pilot in two cities in Africa and Asia. In three years, we will be protecting people and property in 200 cities globally.
Intrinsically mission driven
Good information, delivered on time, makes the world’s most insecure places accessible, investable, and desirable places to live and work. We celebrate when investors use our insights to create jobs where unemployment is rife. We are proud to help the international community to tackle the instability that plagues communities and small businesses. We are committed to driving income to marginalised communities.
We are looking for
Emani Community Managers ensure our most important asset – communities of ordinary people from all backgrounds – join and stay committed. The successful candidate will use in-person and online networks to help establish and grow the network in Lagos and other Nigerian cities, work with her colleagues to build the real-world and technological infrastructure needed to keep members engaged, and solve logistical challenges as they arise.
Success in this role
At a minimum, you are:
- Based in Lagos, with strong offline and online networks
- Skilled at building new relationships as part of a strategy of building, growing and managing communities
- Curious about people from all backgrounds
- Fluent in written and spoken English, Yoruba, and Pidgin English
- Willing to travel to any part of Lagos and other cities in Nigeria
- Energised by the prospect of working with a diverse, international team
- Confident handling basic administration
- Able to work with minimal supervision and mature enough to exercise discretion when required and make ethical decisions independently.
You will exceed our expectations if you are:
- Fluent in Igbo, Hausa or other, foreign language skills
- Knowledgeable about risk analysis, security management, and/ or emerging market investments
- Able to quickly understand Emani’s business model and operational risks
- Willing to travel nationally and internationally, including to less secure areas
- Skilled in business development, graphic and web design, and/or data analysis.
Success at Emani
You will thrive at Emani if you align with our values, commit to our mission and are genuinely excited by our vision. As one of our first hires, you will relish unpredictable working patterns and systems that are yet to embed and mature. You are ready to commit yourself to the job full time and relinquish all other work commitments.
Our offer to you
The position is a for a six month, full-time contract with a view to becoming a permanent member of the team. All roles at Emani begin with a one month test period.
In addition to the monthly fee, we offer:
- A monthly allowance to help you maintain a fast and reliable internet connection
- A high performance, values-based culture
- Ample opportunity to take on new business areas as we grow international staff, experiences, and travel
- Investment in your learning and development
- Remote work and flexibility over how you organise your time.
We would be delighted
We know that people from some groups are less likely to apply to jobs like these. We encourage anyone who meets the job specifications to apply. We are especially keen to see applications from candidates who don’t speak English as a first language, come from minority groups or low income backgrounds, or who have a disability. Tell us if we can make it easier to apply.
How to apply
Complete the application form to apply. Longlisted candidates will be invited to take part in a 30 minute assessment, followed by an interview. We aim to complete the recruitment process within two weeks of the deadline.